Sunday, July 25, 2010

Guilin - Day 1




Decided to take the kids to Guilin this year, they are nearing 4 and 6 and I wanted them to have some exposure to things Chinese. Although the accent here is considered by the northerners as below par… many speak very good Putonghua, either that or my ear is not tuned enough to tell who speaks it well or badly.

We arrive on a Sunday, the city is quite small, has a population of about 700,000 to 900,000 depending on who you ask. We stay in a local community and near a Walmart. We have come with Lilin and kids and its nice that Allan has decided last minute to join us.

At Walmart, we see this baby in a little piece of red cloth underwear thing with no pants on. Many of the kids here have pants with a big hole to allow them easy access to the call of nature and to save on diapers. Well this baby’s mom at least put a towel on the shopping cart seat, otherwise I’d feel bad for his bum bum! I am getting quite addicted to the thick yogurt that is sold here.

From our apartment, I can see that there are vegetable farms at the back and hope to be able to get to them. The kids see these fat chickens and start to chase them everywhere. Someone asks Ike a question and he says in Chinese I am 4 and my brother is 6. A good start.

No comments: