Thursday, June 09, 2011

Talk at Nate's class


I made these bookmark invites for the kids and my nephews to hand out to their friends, they can be used as a bookmark (recycle-able) and gives the information for the exhibition. Since we don't have a title for the exhibition, I managed to kind of "get away with it" on this format.

I thought I might as well speak to Nate's class about Niubizi the character since we are handing out these cards... it was a big hit, I started by explaining and drawing the different generations from Nate up to Huang Yao... and then writing our names (one kid asked how come you are all Huang's), then I tried explaining how long ago the 1930s was and what China was like then and why NBZ was created... (almost lost my audience) and then I said here is the way to draw it and said in Chinese, one big circle for the head and if a kid raised their hand they could tell me what that meant, two for eyebrows, 3 dots, 4 hairs and 5 small circles.

Then we had the kids come up to dot the eyes and mouth and one child said the birthday boy should do it, so we had many funny faces and I then showed how to draw one's emotions and we did a sad face, an angry face, a happy face and a googly face... to big laughter....

The name since involved the military strategy from the romance of the three kingdoms captivated them for a while... and we ended with Nate handing out a bookmark to each of his friends and his teachers.

Now the kindergarden wants me to do not only Ike's class but the whole kindergarden! which means I need to print more of these bookmarks! by the way the design of the bookmark is made to look crumply... otherwise it was too "boring" said the designer... and the teacher when she saw the cartoon and the caption, roared out laughing.

No comments: