




In Taiwan you can purchase all types of rice, including mixed rice for health, each company has their own mix of healthy rice which is brown rice with oats, millet, barley etc, some have names like eight treasures (8 types of grains) or 6 grain rice. Here the chinese store stocked min amounts of brown rice till I kept coming and buying them up. I keep asking him to bring in more grains but he doesn't understand, he has heard of mixed rice but has a vague idea of what the final product is.
So in the beginning, I bought the brown rice from him and mixed with barley and jobs tears, had to nag him to buy millet. Then I found in the indian stores, some lentil, from the supermarket, rolled oats, int he beginning the rice really was not exciting. Then at the Bryanston Organic market I found a store that sold unpolished wheat, unpolished barley, sorghum and then the mixed rice became nice and crunchy. The store owner had not thought of mixing rice and the next time I see him I must tell him how yummy it is.
Since then I have been on the look out for more grains, I now have found red rice, fennel seeds and a few more interesting grains. Now I feel my "rice holder" is not big enough for me to do my mixing. I have tried looking for a plain large pail type tupperware with a lid but no avail. I think my mixed rice has something like 10 to 12 different grains apart from the brown rice. I should look into mixing rice for sale at health outlets!
I am now trying to convince the Indian samosa store that does not do very good biz to convert her mish mash store into a cooking school for kids and domestic workers. But considering her samosa's aren't so great, a school for kids maybe viable, since the goal is to make a mess.
Speaking of which, here is nate with his pile of chalk and us making a mess of the front area and the doggies. I also found a snow city here near our place, I can take the kids tobaganning.
Here is the website for people thinking of visiting SA with kids... www.sakidsonthego.com
No comments:
Post a Comment