Thursday, June 07, 2007

Freak Hail Storm

On Wednesday at 1 am it started to rain! Rain is rare in winter here. It rained for 12 hours until 1 pm the next day. We woke up to a swimming pool overflowing with water, wet everywhere and large heavy dark grey clouds.

Nate went to school in boots and although the weather cleared up several times, it was short. Mom and I checked out the new mall on Cedar road then headed home. After lunch, the sky cleared up and I decided to take ike for a walk. As I headed down the golf course, I thought the golfers are mad to be playing in such weather, for some reason I decided to turn back, maybe it was when the guinea fowls were dashing home. As I reached the fork of the road, heavy drops began to fall again, should I turn left and have about 500 meters to home or should I go right and its 10 meters to the lightning shelter. I decided to take cover under the shelter and down poured big drops then small tiny ice pieces!

I see several golf carts head my way with golfers holding umbrellas at the side of their carts. It rains heavier and heavier and the sky is just dark dark dark. In another 30 mins I have to pick nate up from school so I call home and mom and nomsa head out in the car to get me. When they arrive I had to dash uphill with a small umbrella in one hand and ike holding tight, nomsa got the stroller... after jumping over several big puddles we make it into the car. Nomsa decides not to even come to the front, she chucks the stroller in the back of the prado and then jumps onto the stroller, closing the door behind her.

We head home, drop nomsa and ike off and go pick nate up. Halfway there the sky clears up, its blue again, the clouds have drifted far far away and only large puddles remained. It apparently never rains in winter... but its a good sign, everyone is happy for the water.

No comments: