Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Worm Farm Part 3





For those who have told me they absolutely abhor these entries, better to skip this one... I finally got my third farm, its a rectangular box and the faucet design is not as nice as the round one, ie you would have to tip this one over to pour out the worm pee.

I didn't order worms along with the farm this time since I have 2 working farms and theoretically alot of worms. So I had a great time setting up this new box and I go to Worm farm 2 to gather worms... in the bed I get some bigger ones and then I dig into the depths of my compost build up there and voila one of the most beautiful sights... bunches and bunches of tiny, squirming worms, I transfer them to their new home and hope they multiply soon.

I also got my tumbleweed, its a rotational composter, in 21 days I should have compost! I have checked it several times and the design is just ingenius. The heat trapped in there is also really warm and the smells are like an intense pine wood forest. One days worth of clippings fills only 25% of the bin and after the water content seeps away its even less, something like 20% of the 25%. I can't wait for my first batch of compost! I am even tempted to ask William to get me the neighbor's clippings.

Here is Ike exploring the box it came in... and a luverly hibiscus.

No comments: