Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Nate's Term 1 assessment



So after 4 days of rain, today we had some sunshine, it was like summer for about 8 hours then as I am waiting to see Nate's teacher at 6pm (there was a queue), it starts to pour again. Its chilly again.

Nate according to his teacher is a happy and well balanced child. The other points are just bla bla bla... well ok for the grandparents here is the detailed list that I can remember...

1.) His best friend is a boy named Brooklyn, today brooklyn told nate he wasn't nate's friend anymore and nate just burst into a million tears... I wonder if this is learnt behaviour when nate told ronnie they weren't friends and ronnie cried alot.

2.) He and the gang of 3 yesterday stole the easter eggs off the theme table and had to replace them with the teacher making a big show with her angry voice to draw the borderlines... today the gang of 3 became the gang of 7 and stole her jelly tots. Apparently when she asked him (she had to keep a straight face) if he took any, he had chipmunk cheeks full of them! Another big scene... these border testers...

3.) He was not the leader of the "sweetie gang". He's more of a follower in this class, tho brooklyn has a stronger personality, Nate has a helpful one and helps brooklyn out with the tasks they need to do.

4.) Fine motor skills still weak so next term will have him do hourly sessions with his old teacher (writing and cutting), Avellyn. I tried doing scissor skills at home but Ike got away with a pair once and nearly cut up his lip, luckily only a small nip. Gross motor good for his age group.

5.) Very good communication skills.

6.) Low concentration skills, likes to ask questions and interrupt during story telling (but I have the opposite experience, maybe he listens more intently cos its Thomas the Train), he trips alot and walks into doors which the teacher thinks he is not concentrating so well.

7.) She says he can't do 12 piece puzzles but at home he does the 24 pieces with no problem.

8.) Can rote count but conceptually does not match numbers with counting yet, I will try and experiment tomorrow with his cookies and lets see, I know he knows up to 4 lets see if porpor can get him to 8 with the liquorice!

9.) High EQ, knows how to get his way with a variety of personalities in his class... and the best one of all...

10.) Nate absolutely refuses to eat sausages, I am still battling with the food menu's in school, esp. processed food or substituting white rice for brown or a no juice policy.

I come home wet from pouring rain and see the two helpers (one is my full timer and the other is my part timer being trained up) huddled together working really diligently on something... they are working on a food making schedule for the boys! I like their attitude, I have a good feeling about them.

Ok on to the explanation of the pic of trees and leaves... well we found a little birdie that probably fell off the tree from the wind and rain. We put it in a little box and the vet says to give it biscuit mixed with water. Tomorrow, I hope "Free Me" will call back so that they can take it and give it a living chance.

The leaves have started to fall... and by the end of autumn, the tree in the pic (of which we have 6) will be shedding alot of leaves. I really wonder if my tumbleweed (actually I have 2 now, the co sent me an extra and I have not heard from them why they sent me another...) will be able to handle the capacity to turn the leaves into compost.

No comments: