Thursday, March 06, 2008

Tumbleweed Composter



I am really pleased with my composter. I think I have had it now for 3 or 4 weeks, everytime we fill it (twice a week) with garden clippings and think it is full, a day or two later the material has compressed again. Apparently the clippings will shrink by 80%. Even Willie the gardener is impressed. We have to turn the tumbleweed to get the bacteria to work its magic and there is a stick in the middle that helps the material get all mixed up. Touching it in the afternoon, you can feel the heat, opening the cover you can feel the heat come out!

I thought we had filled it full by last sat, today I go and check, the material has compressed such that I have 40% more space in the tumbler to add more material! Then I need to wait 21 days for it to become compost, tho I can see the working already happening, larger clumps of material turning into dark clumps. Maybe in about 2 or 3 weeks I can harvest the compost and mix with the worm castings and have really rich compost material. Too bad we will be moving into a colder season though.

I transplanted my ginger and boosted their move to less fertile area with worm pee, they seem to be doing really well. My aubergines and beet root look like they are flourishing and I have another crop of about 30 tomatoes ripening, and the never ending basil that is almost weedlike in growth. My goji's don't seem to be surviving too well and we have an ant infestation problem again.

This time I am reluctant to have the guys come in with chemical sprays and have tried a natural remedy (give them indigestion and hope they move to a more hospitable place ie the neighbors house) but am not sure its working. Will give it another week.

No comments: