Friday, September 19, 2008

Linksfield, Johannesburg






This week i was quite excited, we were going to do Shirley's garden, she is that generous woman who paid for the gardening of the boys home which we visited 6 weeks back. She is Jewish and lives in the very jewish area of Joburg. I get there a bit early, the crew would take another 45 mins because of traffic, so I decided to drive around the area, surely I must come across a jewish bakery? I see a very interesting hill top with beautiful homes (pic 1) and decide to check that out, nice big roads, nice l tree lined road! nice views, nice homes... then the next neighborhood I was in an area where Umoja plays... Victory theatre... which is not a good part of town. On a side note for those visiting Joburg, you must go see this show (Brahm... did your friend, Jake make it here?).

I somehow find my way back (via GPS of course) and this time take a left instead of right on the mountain road... as I head down the mountain, suddenly I am in Cyrildene!!! no way would I have known these 3 neighborhoods were so close to each other. We tend to make a trip to each neighborhood as a destination... I was in Chinatown and in Derrick street, a part of Chinatown I had not been, its a small strip, not bad, had 2 large chinese stores and a thai one too.

Here's Shirley's vege garden, pruning for spring. Its great, we are like grazers, as we thin out the areas, we get to munch on a salad! The excess stuff I brought to Nate's school teachers (gone are the days of bringing an apple), the rabbits got a few and loved it. I brought the most precious, tender shoot ones for loren's salad.

As I leave Shirley's place, the GPS tells me not to take the road I originally come from... I then find King David's school, apparently a good jewish school and as I turn that corner.... I find "Friends Bakery", where we catered from for Hanukkah.

So... my cherry belle radish seeds have sprouted, so have the dill and I just planted sunflowers, the yellow generic ones, I need to find the red and other variety types.

No comments: