Friday, September 19, 2008

More images of spring...





The mulberry trees are in full fruiting mode again, tonnes of fruit, everyday I go pluck a bowl, yesterday the gardener directed me to the "secret tree", the berries are smaller but sweeter. I have replaced 2 trays of Woolies packaging of blueberries with mulberries, surely loren can't miss them for his cereal? I got a big bowl for Caro and Shirley yesterday.

Today i feel alot better decided to see the dr today (as my yelling at kids ratio shot thru the roof and my patience index acted like the dow in major negative territory the last few days) and got antibiotics, I was skeptical that I would need them but now as its at night, my throat feels alot worse and I have already taken day ones pills. I closed my eyes in the pm for what I thought was 5 mins... I ended up napping for an hour, a much needed nap.

Then picked the kids up and we went to Christines house to bake... we made Mulberry Pie of Somesort, its not exactly pie but I didn't copy the exact name. Pure chaos with these kids till I figured out a system of taking turns. Very messy but I think they had a lot of fun, luckily I had my drugs and am feeling a lot more patient today. The Pie of Somesort, turned out very nice.

This is the thing I don't understand... these trees are bulging with fruit, none of the garderners or many workers at the nursery school are keen to pick them, either for own consumption (apparently the "blacks" like veges more than fruit) or to pluck them and sell them... or to make them into pie or jam and sell them. I just don't get it, these berries are really expensive if you can even find them.

Last year I had William spend the morning picking the fruit and all the trays were taken by parents (so there is demand!), if we just put a can there and say donate what ever you like or even 10 rand per tray, the gardener will definitely make more than his days wages, even at 5 rand per tray.... so how come no action?? I think I am going to negotiate with the headmistress for first rights to the berries! Mulberry jam anyone???

No comments: