Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Cultural Shots






The first pic is of me and nate at the bird park. Nate had his first sleepover for nap time today, I think he was too excited but finally did settle down for a short nap. When we ask him who is coming this week, he knows to answer "bubbi".

The other pictures are of my chinese clan at my grandfather's grave, it was Qing Ming recently or the day to respect the dead. My mom's side of the family is rather large, my grandfather's grave was built to include him and his 4 wives. The two names in gold on the tombstone have deceased, ie my grandfather and his 3rd wife, tho I think she was christian and may have been creamated, I guess her name is engraved there but her ashes are elsewhere.

Anyway, the members that made it to Qing Ming look like they are from my grandmom's side and I see a my uncles, aunts and cousins, respect is paid by lighting some joss sticks and burning some paper money (to be used in the next world, I am not sure why he would need it as at his funeral we burnt a pile as big as a basketball court, along with paper cars, houses, dvd's etc... probably hyperinflation!) as well as leaving some fresh fruit.

I wonder if they will also dig up those graves when the land is needed as it is now quite close to the city but then again it could be bad luck? who would buy any apartments on graveyard land?

I saw a graveyard in Joburg from the highway but have not figured out whether they bury or cremate people. I just bought car insurance over the phone and a question that I have never been asked before is, "would you like to be covered for HIV medication in case you contract HIV through accidental means". Hmmmmmm....

My mom-mobile arrives tomorrow. Loren thinks it will be trashed by me, I think its hard to maintain a car when there are grimy kids in it and then also ferrying dogs, there is a reverse beeper, ie when you back into a spot a beeper goes off... and the sound system is better than loren's car, but the solution is simple, to preserve the value of the car (that we have to pay for, ie the volvo), loren and I should exchange cars! He actually somewhat agrees, so I may yet have the tank to drive.

The tank is a toyota prado, it is huge and will go on any terrain, its gas tanks are so big, it takes a month to use up the gas. To fill a tank is like US$200. When the gas tank is full, the car actually feels alot heavier and sturdier but sluggish. I like the height though and loren has fitted in steel bars such that we can crash through another vehicle or roadblock if necessary.

No comments: