Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Nate the Bakerman




I think it must be more fun for the parents than the kids on bakerman day or is it I prefer to bake than cook? surely making meals may be just as fun? Anyway, its nate's turn and we tried a cheese cake recipe from Annabel Karmel and it looked really good, until I popped the bottom from the tin and saw that nate and I didn't press down the biscuit base well enough, the base is about an inch thick! the cake another inch, so I gues bore bickie than cake!

The secret is in the disguise then... if the cake turns out strange then some decoration is needed... so we made little mice out of halved pears, almond slices for ears, raisins for eyes and a little choc ball for the nose. The pink long licorice I could not find in the supermarket but we are a chinese household, we always have noodles lying around... dyed them a shaded of pink and voila... some mice tail. I think the form looked better than the substance tho out of the oven it smelled really good!

We were really tempted to cut out 1/4 of the cake and put a mouse there as if it had eaten it but there isn't much cake for 20 kids from an 8 inch cake tin.

This Thursday is a big challenge, need to dress the kids in some sort of national costume! where am I going to find that? I tried looking for a Malay costume in KL last year... did not even find a chinese one. I wonder if I could dress him like an orthodox jew (draw in the beard?, the teacher has already said no to superman costume (I was going to pin from land of krypton on their backs). Maybe a kippa, a white sheet, a rope belt and a stick... moses? anyone with an easy to execute idea please email me asap!

Here is Nate with mini barbie doll, I think I will go against loren's wishes and get him a small barbie set, just so he can get in touch with his feminine side. We were at Christine's new house and they have tonnes of girl toys, ah the familiarity! Next weekend Nate has 2 girl parties to go to...

No comments: