Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Beijing Olympics






Well, it was quite an interesting experience, landing in the world's biggest (and cleanest and newest) terminal. The city has much less visitors than expected as China did not approve many visa's so instead of being stampeded on, it was quite pleasant, traffic was cut down and olympic busses had special lanes.

The Sub Saharan Africa client group from Nokia were also quite a fun bunch of people, wives were allowed to tag along and so I got to go!! I didn't sleep at all on the flight and when I got there... I had been awake fro like 30 hours, got to meet up with Sharon and as she has not announced this, i will be the "big mouth" and tell all that she is now officially engaged. I have not seen her in almost 5 years so it was really quite fun. We got to see each other everyday, she took me to a nice Qipao place and my credit card was smoking after I was done there.

Our first event was gymnastics, well its very different watching the teams that are not medal winners, they seem to be falling off the beams all the time! It must be much harder to do than it looks. I decided to skip boxing since it seemed rough...

Here's Bush Sr. and his body guards pushing their way around the silk street market, I was buying a silk blanket as he showed up. Later at the lower levels, I see his body guards running and him too then a mob of people who recognized him. Silk street market is no more a street, beijing cleaned it up, built them a building and housed them there, they have also instituted rules like no pulling of tourists hands... but still quite chaotic. I am not a trinket buyer but I came across one store that would be closing down and got a bunch of pearl bracelets and pendants for a unbelievable price. Sorted all my small presents!

No comments: