Tuesday, August 19, 2008

More Olympics






The city was not as polluted as blowing black gunk out of nose, in fact my nose which had been gunky in SA cleared up there, I like the humidity and felt like i could breathe again. It rained on day one and the last day of our stay,not bad, overcast the whole time otherwise. Our friends who stay there says they see blue sky only 20% of the time. hmmm.

Here are some pics from the forbidden city, it was quite a treat to be listening to my 5000 years of chinese history and being in China. The signs in the forbidden city have 2 languages, the mongol and chinese. I also listened to the part on the mongols while there. I also got to eat my fill of noodles! :)

Here is the dish for the peking duck... at Dadong restaurant, much fancier than I remember it!

I also got to meet up with a cartoon scholar, who hopefully i have convinced to do a much larger section on my granddad in his compendium history of Chinese cartoons. He is also going to write a few newspaper articles on Huang Yao and after his two main projects, I think he is interested enough to spend time focusing on Huang Yao.

I also met a guy who can help us send someone into the interior of China to hopefully find the 12 remaining works that are missing. A nice surprise tho, he brought me a book from Guiyang that has found my granddad's original set of cartoons that were donated to the art museum in 1941 and this publisher has found the set in 2005, republished it with explanations of Guiyang and the cartoons. Very pleased with this outcome. I think we will be speaking at the Guiyang cartoon symposium next year and if we are lucky we can organise to exhibit this set and maybe works that we bring along.

No comments: