Monday, June 28, 2010

Our little leftie


ok the picture isn't so matched to the title but I have been having problems with my phone and taking photo's so I seem to be taking alot less photos...

I spoke to Ike's teachers today. He seems to like a familiar setting and takes time to warm up to people. He observes new people for several days before he speaks to them. The other issue is that we are not sure which is his dominant hand. Apparently, in about a year or less, the parents should make a decision as to which hand we make more dominant as that affects learning in all sorts of way. Otherwise his brain goes switching back and forth and he would not progress as fast as a child that has a clear determination of hand dominance.

Hmmm.....

So this summer I will make a list of what he tends to do with which hand or leg. I suspect he is a leftie and I think maybe we shold get him all the leftie things like scissors to see if he likes it better. I also learnt today that I need to slant his paper when he writes as it will be more comfortable for lefties. I think I may also write with my left hand in sympathy to see what other issues there may be.

He seems a bit ambidextrous at the moment and apparently that could be an advantage in instruments like the piano. Back to looking for piano teachers....

No comments: