Friday, July 13, 2007

Nde Bushe



Nde Bushe is a restaurant/lodge less than 5 minutes from Dainfern. They have a number of animals roaming free, we saw springbok walk right up to us. Porpor and Nomsa took Ike for a walk and saw a herd of over 100 springbok and another type of antelope/deer. I am not sure why I did not take more pictures! Maybe its from making sure porpor and nomsa didn't hunt down any for dinner. I swear I saw "springbok curry" in the pupil of their eyes.

Ike and Nate were quite happy on the trampoline, then nate's friends came and they were all over the jungle gym and jumping castles. Ike had a great time laughing and screaming as he bounced around. Then we watched the great big sun, set into the horizon, another lovely african sunset, then once the sun set, it got really chilly.

My wormery arrived, it is a worm farm. Initially i was squirmish about the worms as they popped out of the bin when i opened it, must have moved around during transport. After putting on gardening gloves and reorganizing their new home, I think I am getting quite attached to them have given them names. There is Anna, tommy, lincoln, jupiter... (I did think of naming them after all the rude and annoying investment bankers I know but then I seem to have forgotten them and their names), even osama the terrorist worm is looking cuddly to me. I can't wait to get my first load of worm compost and fertilizer. Hmm, my brother, Terry's birthday is coming up, how do I convince porpor to bring back a wormery for him??

Although food and worms should not be in the same posting, here is a great recipe from charmain on the muesli bars that she made and we all chomped down like the vultures that we are.

MUSELI BARS

125g Butter
100g Firmly packed Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Honey
180g Rolled Oats
35g Sesame Seeds, toasted
40g Sunflower Seeds, chopped finely
20g Desiccated Coconut, toasted
30g finely chopped Pecans or Walnuts (or a tropical mix with fruit and nuts)
30g Sultanas
2 Tablespoons Unprocessed Bran
1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon

Grease a 20cm x 30cm lamington pan (any square or rectangle dish will do – just don’t spread the mixture too thickly or the muesli bars will be too hard to eat).

Combine Butter, Sugar and Honey in medium pan; stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Stir in remaining ingredients. Press mixture into prepared pan; bake in moderate oven (180 Degrees) for about 25 minutes or until browned lightly.

Whilst still warm, cut through bar into desired sized pieces; cool in the pan. Storage – Airtight container for up to 4 days.

p.s. for those who heard about the fire at the wondercaves, the pic of the office with the lhapa roof on the last post, burned down 20 mins after we left. I don't think it was our boys, more likely the smoking tourists that we saw?

No comments: