Thursday, September 27, 2007

The rains are here






and spring is officially here, it will be cloudy and wet for the next week, temperatures have dropped and I have pulled out my winter gear again! There are big thunder and lightning shows... kai kai is back to announcing that the sky is farting.

I had a late appointment with the vet today and as the kids could not go to horse riding, they all played at our place. When I asked kaikai whether he wanted to go with me, he said he wanted to play, as soon as I left he was upset and went to his room and cried for the 2 hours I was gone!

Anyway I took the volvo (lower for bullet to climb in), the rain caused lots of accidents but luckily the route I took was accident free just lots of water pouring down. Bullet is boisterous after his operation, the vet is waiting for the biopsy on tuesday to answer all our questions. He thought bullet didn't need pain killers. Bullet is kind of whining now tho...

On the way out, it was pouring and I didn't let bullet pee, more whining in the car, at least he held it in for the 30 min ride home and then had a super long pee getting home.

I also went to the american school today to check it out. Kaikai can take a test in May 2008 to see if he can join the Pre-K in August. I told the admissions officer, I don't mind holding him back a year to be the leader in the class as opposed to the least "competant". Anyway i wasn't too impressed with their pre-K, they have 2 sessions, each have 15 kids, I like his present school better, where he has alot more kids to mix with. Looks like for both schools, age 5 (kinderdarden in the case of the american school and grade zero in the case of dainfern) is an important year, his present nursery school also offers grade zero and are very good at it. Maybe I put his name down in both schools?

My thoughts were this tho... of dainfern college vs. the american school... the pro's of dainfern college:-
1.) close to home, just 5 mins away vs. 20 mins (nate will have to take the school bus)
2.) they wear uniforms vs. no school uniforms
3.) mix with local S. Africans, though they are all more priviledged vs. almost all white but from 60 different countries
the con's, maybe the transcripts are harder to "translate" for the next school he attends.

The pro's of the american school:-
1.) the transfer to another american school would be easy.
2.) if we keep this international lifestyle, maybe the less school systems are less disruptive? maybe that isn't so important when he is younger?

I do know that if we were in taipei, I would put him to the public school system to pick up chinese. At this point, I wish their was a jewish school close by at least he would get some pertinent cultural grounding.

No comments: