Sunday, September 02, 2007

Spring Hat Day






Friday was Spring hat day at Nate's school, we all had to make hats for the kids, on monday I asked his teacher what a spring hat was and she described it as a hat with fruits and veges that the kids can feed the animals afterwards. I don't remember her mentioning flowers. So on tues, I dig out vege's from my fridge and luckily we still have his Japanese wide rim school boy hat that cost me 30 cents at a bazaar in Taipei.

With the help of some rubber bands, I managed to loop and tie the dangling carrots. I also strung a chain of beaded grapes but its not visible in the pics. I then raid michelle's garden as she has alot of parslet and mint (I raided it again for shabbat later in the week as well). Then with some left over cabbage I draped the back, am quite surprised how versatile rubber bands are.

On thurdays, chrsitine tells us (charmain and me) that she has he florist to her two girls hats!!!! I am like, I wish I knew that. Friday morning I am frantically trying to get all these fauna to stay on the hat. It surprisingly works. When we got to school, chrisine drove her car round twice so she could see his hat. Many people were laughing... when we got to school I realised why... everyone had flowers. Some were very professional, no one had a full vege hat!

The chinese girl with the very lovely hat is christine's daughter, kelly, after I told christine that the teacher said fruit and vege's, she tied the grapes to the hat. Apparently all the kids were chasing kelly to have a grape snack. There is also something to be said about the proverb about "dangling carrots", there was a parade of these hats by all the classes... by the time they did that... nate had eaten half of several of the carrots.

No comments: