Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Deceptively delicious...





The oatmeal cookies are from Jessica Seinfeld's book... Mabo and I spent a big part of friday, grinding down our raw material, ie butternut, eggplants, sweet potatoes, spinach etc... the pureeing is harder work than I thought, maybe its my food processor? As much as possible I do not cook the vege's as they are steamed or baked and then mushed up and then frozen, I wonder how much nutrients are left.

Today's trial recipe called for banana and zucchini puree... I always mistake zucchini's for aubergines so I have a big stock of pureed auber gine, i also remember somewhere that they are a good substitute... so I substituted that... well the cookies turned out quite nice, oh I also did not have whole wheat floor and used brown bread flour nor did I have baking soda so I used baking powder. The cookies are not as crunchy as Jerry's comments in the cookbook but also I could not wait till they cooled down to eat them. The aubergine definitely does not come thru in taste... the banana does but overall very nice.

Bubbi is here on monday, yay another person to eat my experiments!

Loren is in Hong Kong and Macau now. Nate woke up several times the first night and so I let him snuggle in my bed, he seems to sleep alot sounder, he also seems to know that when dada is home he has to go back to his room.

Here the boys are playing so nicely together, some days they really seem to be nice to each other...

Am starting the first day of my part time work on Thursday, I am an assistant gardener for a vege garden company, well I get to follow the owner around the various clients and gardens they have built. A major project starting near our home will involve a show vege garden (by the wife who runs the restaurant), the husband runs the gold range, that one I get more participation and maybe even get to run a worm class! Am really looking forward to it.

I get a real kick out of my own vege patch, harvesting and knowing loren's lunch and dinner salad comes from organically grown methods and worm castings and worm tea. Just the other day I was reading how inner city kids are rearing and selling worm tea and worm castings and making a living that way.

Here is a picture of Porsche's largest showroom in the world, apparently its in Joburg or near Paulshof, on the way from our home to Loren's office. Also found the Kyalami race track which is near our home... maybe dada and nate may enjoy a car race day there?

No comments: