Thursday, July 03, 2008

Nate on a Bike!



We bought this bike for Nate whilst in Taipei (the makers of great and cheap bikes), thinking we are coming to (land of lacking) Africa... well... when we got here, Nate was not strong enough to pedal and I thought, great probably wasted money. Then I found even better bikes here for very reasonable prices, from bikes where the pedal does not slip back to bikes without pedals or trainer wheels (so the kid learns balance) and I thought... great purchase that bike from Taipei...

I see Lucas riding a bike near our round-a-bout and I think its one of those with locked back pedaling and am quite impressed with his pedaling skills, for some time I was wondering whether I should get nate one of those back pedal bikes... well earlier this week, nate wanted to try his bike from taipei and guess what, he is now strong enough to pedal and something in his brain synapses has clicked to also coordinate "how to pedal". Off course now Ike wants to a pedal bike!

I cancelled Nate's horse riding lessons today, it will end at the end of July. Although he seems really happy on the horse, its a big hassle to get him there and on it, so I have decided to cancel since he is quite vocal on what he likes, like he would not want to cancel Karate (he has a sat class with dada and a mon class in school) and says he wants to take a music class and a cooking class! (ok he has also said no ballet). When Ike turns 2, I will take him horse riding and Nate can play, if he then expresses an interest again, I'll reinstate the classes.

Meanwhile I am still bumping around on my horse riding. I have finally got the hang of the horse cantering (well it feels really fast for me on the horse) and can seem to not hang on the saddle for dear life (I can slow the horse now and also steer! yippeee). Last week I was even able to canter and jump over beams. I've got a few books on horses now, I do hope to get round to reading them. I got distracted recently by a beautiful old book on African Rock paintings and the mythology behind those paintings. Which is linked also to the abstract paintings my granddad is doing.

For those who are interested... the collectors of my granddad's art in KL are staging an exhibition for him, starting this Sunday for a week to commemorate what would have been his 90th birthday. For those who want to go see... email me for details.

BTW the first pic is a joint project of kids in the class, I may have posted it before... its the great wall of china upside down on the class ceiling.

No comments: