Tuesday, July 29, 2008

To Pretoria again... and again...

Before I left for Sweden I headed out to the Chinese Embassy in Pretoria to get my visa for the olympic games in Beijing. My visa had been rejected twice (in both the Chinese embassy in Sandton and Pretoria) because... when I renewed my passport in the Malaysian embassy in Taiwan, they put my issued at as "Taiwan" and as there are no 2 China's according to China, they say I have an invalid passport. Great just great, small person caught in political man made issues...

So I got my friend Christine to speak to someone in the embassy and so I headed out to get my visa, unfortunately the visa takes four working days and as I was leaving for Stockholm the next day I could not hand over my passport.

Yesterday I headed out to Pretoria yet again... got an earful about how I should either change my passport or tell my embassy and government that only one China exists. They took my passport in... lets see if I get the visa on Friday.

So bubs and I visited the art museum 10 days ago... it was quite nice... sculpture in pic here used as a utility, ie coat hanger... and a painting of my favorite tree, the baobab. Yesterday we went to the cultural and history museum, very sad and quiet place and not so great exhibits, after sweden and its great museums, the pretoria one felt very sad and not really worth visiting. I must however try to get to the Wits University museum where they have better human bones and paleontology type exhibits, apparently better than Maropeng.

Finger crossed for my visa!! btw here is bubby with Ellie our new neighbours dog, she is virtually a dog whisperer soon!

No comments: