Thursday, July 10, 2008

Room To Grow




I started the first day of my job as a vege produce gardener... I work with Cora who owns room to grow (www.room-to-grow.co.za), better than any class or gardening course I get a professional instructor free of charge, in fact she wanted to pay me! Is it my lucky day or what?

Today I met her in a neighborhood called Linden. Her guys had already dug the trenches, layered it with manure, soil, compost and then the grass like stuff you see here is mulch. She see's possibilities in stuff people would throw away. For example the owner wanted to rid the small fence that she has reused to keep the dogs out. There is also a large crate that would have been tossed out she will remodel that to be used as a compost bin.

We did planting today, first by going thru her very messy seed box which she reorganises once a week. I really should have taken more pics, by the time I left, there were trelises up for the peas. She knew what veges can be planted now and so we sorted the seeds accordingly then drew a map of the trenches and then looked thru companion planting, I should have taken a pic of the map we made as well.

Today formally i learnt how to seed properly as well. It was just a really nice perfect day where I got my hands dirty and with nature and to grow something. I will return to this garden in 3 months to put in the plants we did not put in yet, like strawberries and tomatoes but this family will not need to buy any veges.

Then the frustrating this is my mac mail is down! a paid service! no access and I have no idea when it will be up again. If you need to contact me, do singaporecarolyn at yahoo dot com. grrrr.

No comments: