Friday, February 02, 2007

Cockle doodle doooooo

In Taipei, our farmer neighbours have chickens and when Nate was a baby, the crow would be my signal that morning is coming, I was awake anyway.... once I misread my watch and though nate slept through the night all the way to 5 am (yay!) only to wonder why there was no crowing, then I realised it was only 2 am (sigh~).

Here, there are all sorts of birds, tiny red ones to big ones that look like mini emus with a long curved beak, they seem to find worms everywhere. Anyway these birds make this piercing noise 30 mins before the sun comes up, a UUUAAAARRRK, even if you were asleep, you would be jolted awake and these birds travel in flocks of 3 ish, so its UUUUAAARKKKK UAAAARRKKK UAAAARRRK. I wonder if they grill well or are good on a braai (SA for BBQ).

Nate is back to his 530 am schedule, even with the double dark curtains. Ike seems to take really well to Nomsa. Today she was able to put him to sleep quite quickly much to our amazement and as I write this, she has the hardest time slot the 6-7pm. I've fed him at 6 and tried to put him to sleep, his nose wakes him up then it takes effort to get him to sleep again. Worse today he has discovered the fan, that rotating thing that blows a breeze and can't stop staring (I hope those indian curtain makers have my blackouts tomorrow!). Anyway, today for the first time he did a long first pm nap and a decent second one, soon he will be sleeping well at night too... and with that I will light an incense to the deity of baby sleep for why would one want any other deity of luck, happiness and longevity when if your baby sleeps, you are lucky, happy and will live long!

Having said that, I read an article recently that all studies point to pets prolonging one's life and kids shortening it.

No comments: