Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Run up to halloween






Here's our house with some halloween deco, nate helped me put up a number of these items, while ike watched and chewed on the plastic spider.

We will be celebrating on saturday in our own little neighbourhood (roundabout cul de sac). Loren is however away in Rwanda and will be making a trip to see the gorillas in the wild. The kids will be digging out the pumpkins at 3pm, christine and charmaine will be making food (actually christine just needs to make chinese chicken feet and some chinese gut stew, forget the icky look alike food, go for the real fear factor!), shelley is in charge of drinks, michelle will be doing up our garage as the haunted garage.

I have bought a pumpkin costume and a spiderman costume, nate still has his zulu boy costume, tho the only spears I could find were more like forks.

Today I had coffee with a friend that is HIV positive, she has now taken her diploma exam and awaiting results. Trying to find work to make ends meet, even cleaning jobs. Many jobs now require email submission and internet access is expensive for her. I wonder if my pep talk for her to be more aggresive was too much.

I have also found that there is very little affordable housing for lower income, interest rates are high (1 year FD is 11%). This is the first country where I feel the gap of the rich and poor gets alot bigger and at a fast pace. Unemployment sticks stubbornly at 25%.

No comments: